Since making the decision to purchase a CSA share this summer, K and I also decided to take it up a notch.
We figured we were already devoting ourselves to local produce, why not add in locally sourced dairy, meat, and other staples? Since I will have to walk over to the farmers market every week to pick up our share, we might as well grab some eggs and meat too.
How we are defining local:
350 miles from Chicago
(Basically, it is about how far a truck can travel in a single day)
What is included:
- Dairy products & eggs
What is not included:
- Going out to eat
- Eating at other people’s homes
- An increase in vegetable intake
- A decrease in meat intake
- A decrease in processed foods
- A decrease in food packaging, so less waste
- A decrease in GHG used to transport our food around
- A decrease in our waistlines
While our CSA share does not start until June, we are starting when our local farmers market returns outside tomorrow.