It’s Compost Awareness Week!
Even though I have been collecting my food scraps for compost collection for over a year now, I only started weighing our compost bucket last August.
I keep a little spreadsheet with the totals from each month.
- August 11.22 lb
- September 5.88 lb
- October 7.04 lb
- November 15.74 lb (house plant and outdoor plant)
- December 11.48 lb (Not including our Halloween pumpkin)
- January 10.38 lb
- February 15.5 lb (dead house plant, RIP)
- March 17.22 lb (chicken carcass, cleaned out the fridge)
- April 12 lb
- May 18.74 lb
- TOTAL TO DATE = 125.2 POUNDS
While the numbers have fluctuated and have been going up, I have been bothered about whether or not that is a good thing.
Having a heavy compost bucket means we have a lot of food scraps and that can mean one of two things:
1. We are finally figuring out what can be composted and just collecting more of it
2. We are just wasting a lot of food
So which one is it? What do you think?